Saturday, February 2, 2008

I Quit

Do you know what makes things sadder than they are? Proximity.

I have suffered four years being away by several time zones from the one for whom I have allowed my life to be put on hold. And I can't start to explain how painful it was, how I cried when I saw him reduced to a mere computer monitor. And I'd touch the surface of the screen, instead of his warm, smooth skin. And countless were the times I would do anything to fly to him. But then, where I was concerned, only dreams could grow wings.

And I thought that was the most difficult part of being me. Until.

Every day, we take the same path home. Except that we go the opposite ends. Every day, we take the same stretch of road. Our eyes gaze at the same horizon. We breathe in the same square kilometer of air. And I can easily run to you and not lose oxygen.

But I am over waiting. With him I waited for the distance to close. With you I’m waiting until I lose interest. Which doesn’t seem to happen. So I quit.

No comments: