Friday, October 15, 2010

Heck, Cesarie, K+12 and I...

So many goings on outside my control radius. What to say? What to say?

The 2010 Nobel Prize Awardee for Chemistry lives in a rented bungalow in a "crowded neighborhood" in Quezon City, with his Filipino wife of 31 years. Mr. Richard Heck has chosen to stay/retire permanently in the Philippines because this is a "nice place to live" where the weather is good.

One of the world's most important scientists lives among us, not inside the walled kingdoms of Forbes Park, Ayala Alabang, or Acropolis. Were they also Ondoy-ed or made witness to the August 23 nightmare? And yet. And yet, this place is still a "nice place to live."

And what do you think of the four students from UP Manila who thought it was their right to disrupt and shout their protests in a "townhall" meeting with the President and attended by representatives of various sectors of society? Well, I'm taking note of the name of the girl who led it - Cesarie Ann Santos. I will not hire her if she dares come knocking for a job where I work. That as long as 7-11 bananas are yellow.

The staple street nuisance who brandishes placards and burns effigies, which craftmanship has improved over the years, a sign that effigy-making has become a booming business. Thanks to Gabriela, Anak Bayan, Bayan Muna, Sanlakas and Partido ng Manggagawa, etc., etc.

On the additional 2 years in primary and secondary schools. Not so appealing to me. So what if we are one of the only three countries in the world which implement 10 years in pre-college education. I spent 6 years in a provincial public elementary school (I didn't attend a KP school.) and 4 years in a Catholic high school. And I'm not so bad.

We had fewer subjects in grade school and high school. I was FB-tagged in several grade school class pictures and noticeably we were just 20 or so students in the class. Tagged high school class pics show that the largest class size I was in was 35. We also had pretty good professional teachers. Classmates who couldn't make the cut were really made to repeat a year. And a year and another year. This thing about additional two years must be re-thought and deliberated on further.

Within my radius are problems and wonders. You'd think the gods can't quite decide what to make me feel.

No comments: